Sunday, July 10, 2011

Introductory Post




Hello everyone

I decided to create a blog for the campaign to give people who are interested in the course an idea of what the course is about.

In the upcoming posts I will be sharing some information I learned during the course.

These are some pictures that I will be showing later on.






The story behind the "I Can Handle It" campaign:

On March 8, 2011, I sent an e-mail to the majority of local blogs in Kuwait where I kindly asked them to post my poster and content (below) on their blog.

"I am a Kuwaiti woman that really wants to learn about car mechanics. I want to learn about it because it’s important. When I drive my car, I always wonder if my car is ever going to stop in the middle of the road or high way. I wouldn’t want to wait for my brother or father to come fix it and I definitely don’t want to depend on a guy (stranger) either. The car is our only transportation source in Kuwait. Therefore, it’s important for everyone who owns a car to know the foundations of its mechanics.
I went to The Public Authority for Applied Education and Training (the only place that offers a course about car mechanics for females) and asked about the course. They told me that it’s not available because there are no girls interested. They also said that in order to open the course, I need to have a list of at least 15 girls that are interested, and then the course would be available by May 2011. I decided to look for those 15 girls by designing this poster. The "I can handle it" poster.
Most of my friends don’t think any woman would be interested. Only 1 of my friends is in the list.
If you’re interested, please email me at:icanhandleitq8@gmail.com"

After that, I received a lot of e-mails from ladies who were interested, 25 to be exact. They were more than what I expected. As soon as I found out more details about the course, I sent the girls an e-mail. After a while, I called PAAET just to confirm the timing and date of the course. Due to unexpected changes from PAAET, the date of the course had to be changed. And so I ended up with a total of 8 including myself. Fortunately, PAAET were kind enough to open the course with the amount of ladies that I had interested. Now, we graduated from the course knowing general information about how the car functions, what might effect your car, and how to fix it.

From there, I decided to create this blog to encourage mainly women to join The Car Mechanics Course by providing them with the date of the course as soon as PAAET announces when their next course is going to take place.

2 comments:

Othman said...

Is the course open for anyone?
I have a couple of friends who may be interested.

Great blog BTW. I'm an editor for the Kuwaiti car blog Q8Mods.com, and a 3rd year Mech. Engineering student myself. Always great to see more women interested in this field ;)

Muneera said...

Yes, it's open for everyone. You can check with PAAET at Odelya to know when it starts.

Thank you! Wish you all the best in your blog and studies :)